Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Overexposed

I go to nude beaches quite a bit in SL, and not always the same one. One thing that I’ve noticed at each is that very few people are actually naked. Moreover, I’m greeted with shock and awe when people notice that I am fully unclothed. I’ve encountered several people who have viewed their avatar’s nudity as their own real-life nudity, and have exhibited obvious concerns of modesty.

A recent interaction with another person went like this (her name is withheld as it doesn’t play a role in my point):

[Avatar’s Name]: OMG! You’re naked!
Slick Munro: Yes. It’s a nude beach.
[Avatar’s Name]: Yeah, but you have no clothes on! I see your thing!
Slick Munro: Yes. It’s a nude beach.

It’s actually becoming more and more difficult to find people even wearing swimwear at nude beaches. Many are wearing T-shirts, jeans, and shoes.

Perhaps they’re simply preparing themselves for the gradual “PGification” of the grid. Bikinis on women and skimpy trunks on men might soon be too “adult” to see and those of us who dare to bare any skin will be relegated to Zindra.

No comments:

Post a Comment