Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Time to Go

I had been giving it some thought for a while and I’ve made a final decision: I’m done with Second Life. Even though I met a few cool people and had the chance to be creative in ways that I hadn’t before, the negatives outweighed the positives.

To keep it simple, there was too much nonsense, too much bickering, and too much immaturity. It was basically just a pixelated version of real-life.

2 comments:

  1. Any chance we'll get a magazine out of this? I left SL a few months ago but found your magazine and liked it. These were my reasons for quitting too.

    Maybe it could be like a grand finale issue or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for liking it. I tried to make it like a loaf of wheat bread on a shelf full of white bread.

    As for the magazine, I don't know. I love that idea because I love making magazines. It's more fun to do than making stuff in-world was. Here's the dilemma that I'd be facing:

    (1.) I have no plans on logging into SL again. If I were to make another issue of an SL-related magazine, I'd need SL images because the only ones that I have saved on my computer are the ones that I've already used. That leads me to my second point, which is...

    (2.) I'd have to use real-life images. This idea is intriguing, because to my knowledge no SL-related publication has ever used nothing but real-life images. But the problem with this would be that my real-life job is one in which I have to be careful of how much exposure I have on the Internet. This might be a more acceptable use of real-life images given the analytical nature of the publication, but I'd have to think about it. (I'd also have to get the photos taken for each section.)

    (3.) I'd also feel a little guilty of contributing to the drama that I've used as for my reason of leaving. On one hand I can see the "closure" aspect of explaining myself, but at the same time I could also be adding to the problem.

    I'll give it some thought, but in short, these are my reasons for calling it quits:

    • I got fed up with the childish bickering -- and it was coming from all over. In-world I had to listen to squabbles that were pathetic. Off-line I read some of the most immature, asinine comments from so-called adults on the XStreet forums.

    • I was tired of seeing so many assholes become the most popular people in certain cliques. If you wanted to be liked, you had to act like a moron. I had thought that this mentality was over after high school, but I was wrong.

    Like I said, I'll consider the idea of a "why I left SL" issue, but there's no guarantee that it'll happen.

    ReplyDelete